Skip to main content

MJ had the ability to make everyone around him look at the world with the eyes of a child


Los Angeles (USA): Shana Mangatal, an entertainment industry veteran, living in Hollywood, was the special guest at the widely popular twitter chat of Bloggers Alliance, which is hosted every Sunday at 6 pm IST via @BlogIndiaBlog twitter handle. Shana is an actress and also the author of a book - “Michael and Me”, which details her exciting memories with Michael Jackson – the King of Pop. Find here the excerpts of the much awaited twitter chat no. 30, moderated by Narvijay Yadav, founder director of SpecttrumPR.  

What was your inspiration to write the book ‘Michael and Me’?

This book came straight from my diaries, which I started writing as a teenager. I wrote everything in detail between 1980’s to 2009. In the diaries, I found so many untold stories about my life and about Michael. These are untold stories about Michael Jackson that might shed some light on who he actually was as a man and a human being. I felt his fans deserved to know these wonderful moments and memories that I had kept secret for so long.

My memories humanize Michael Jackson and I believe his fans will love him even more after reading it. I was once a fan - a young girl who dreamed of moving to Hollywood and eventually meeting and falling in love with my idol, Michael JacksonIt was such an exciting and magical time in my life. Writing it all down preserved and honoured those memories for me and I hope everyone will be able to feel as if they're living those moments with me.

What was the most difficult part of the whole process?

It was extremely difficult reading my diaries and reliving my moments with Michael Jackson. I hadn’t read them since I wrote them 3 decades ago. When I finally did read them, even the happy memories made me sad. I cried as I read every page. I couldn’t help but regret some of my decisions. When you look back and examine your life decades later, its so easy to see where you went wrong and how certain decisions might have changed the entire course of your life.

Why did you write this book now, after so many years of your relationship with Michael?

Those years with Michael Jackson was the best time of my life. They were magical. They were the culmination of my dreams that I had as a young girl coming true. I knew that my story could perhaps inspire young people to go behind their dreams. This book is evidence that no dream is too big. You can come from the smallest town and move to Hollywood without knowing a single soul and still become a part of the exciting world of show business that once seemed so unreachable.

The fact that I became a part of the life of the most famous man in the world is proof that dreams do come true. I felt that my story needed to be heard and I hoped it would encourage others to believe in themselves. MJ was the greatest entertainer to ever live. This book will help people remember him as he actually was and not the false image the press had created.

What did Michael used to say about his fans?

MJ loved his fans more than anything. During his saddest times, his fans were always there to lift him up. He knew how much they loved him and that kept him going all of those years. They made him strong.

What was your funniest moment with Michael?

MJ had an incredible sense of humor. He had the ability to make everyone around him look at the world with the eyes of a child. He was such a leader that anyone that hung around him picked up his attitude. It was difficult for me to think of him as a superstar when I was around him, because he was so down to earth. I wrote about many of those practical jokes and fun times we had in 'Michael and Me'.

Those were my favorite parts to write about because those moments showed MJ as he really was- a normal guy, who had a great sense of humor. I am sure there will never be another human being as powerful and magical as he was.

Did Michael use the code name "Melissa" for you?

Melissa is mentioned by MJ in private recorded phone calls. He was in love with Melissa. That description is exactly me. He'd stand at my desk and flirt with me every time he came to the office. My co-workers started teasing me. Often fans ask why there are no private pictures of us. First of all, he hated being photographed unless it was in a professional setting with perfect lighting and his own photographer. And there were no cell phones then. 

On the set of Ghosts, MJ treated me like a princess. After his big dance scenes, he'd always look over at me to see my reaction. It's as if he was looking at me for approval and that was just so sweet to me.

What do you answer to those who are accusing you for lying in your relationship with MJ and saying that you are doing this just to gain Publicity?

I think if you actually read the book you will see that it would be impossible for me to make up the things that happened. I was raw and honest in the book and did not embellish the relationship or try to make it more than it was. If I just wanted publicity by writing this book, I would've written it many years ago, right after he passed away. I was getting a lot of offers at that time and refused to speak to anyone about him.

Emotionally, I just wasn't ready to deal with any of the memories I had. Even the happy memories made me sad after he passed away. It took a long time to finally tell my story. I knew it was an important story and one his fans needed to hear.

What did you learn from Michael Jackson?

I learned so much from him. He really shaped a lot of who I am now. His personality was so powerful. It rubbed off on anyone who spent time around him. He taught me how to love unconditionally and to not be afraid to tell people we love them.

He was the 1st man I ever said, "I love you" to. He also taught me to always keep an innocent heart-to see magic and wonder in even the smallest things. He showed me how important it is to treat everyone with kindness-always.

Tell us about your India connection.

My grandfather was Indian. Also, one of my best friends is Indian actress/singer @ketmategaonkar. We became friends because she read my book – Michael and Me, and reached out to tell me how much she loved it. She visited Hollywood last year and we had lots of fun.

The book "Michael and Me" is available worldwide on Amazon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThinkNEXT gets the 'Most Trusted Digital Marketing & Industrial Training Company of The Year' Award

Chandigarh : Mohali-based IT concern ThinkNEXT Technologies has been declared The Most Trusted Digital Marketing and Industrial Training Company of The Year. Munish Mittal, ThinkNEXT's Director received the coveted award recently at an event 'Iconic Business Summit and Awards -2021’ held in the national capital New Delhi .   Munish Mittal, Director, ThinkNEXT Technologies receives the 'Most Trusted Digital Marketing & Industrial Training Co. of The Year’ Award at Iconic Business Summit & Awards-2021  Mittal received the award from renowned Bollywood actress and politician Jaya Prada and Miss Universe Romania Anca Verma. Faggan Singh Kulaste, Union Minister of State for Steel, and Chaudhary Uday Bhan Singh, Minister of State for Khadi and Village Industries, UP were also present. “I am happy that our efforts have been acknowledged. We were competing against hundreds of companies from across India , who along-with us  had participated in the summit. Apart from m

Robotic gynae procedures better than traditional gynae surgeries: Dr Preeti Jindal

Amritsar:  According to Dr. Preeti Jindal  a Senior Consultant Gynaecologist, IVF, High-Risk Pregnancy, Laparoscopic & Robotic Surgeon, "Robotic Gynae Surgery which utilizes robotic technology to perform gynecological surgeries offers several benefits such as smaller incisions, reduced blood loss, and shorter recovery time compared to traditional methods."  Dr. Jindal said this in a press release issued here.   Dr. Jindal's statement was aimed at spreading awareness about Robotic Gynae Surgery and its benefits.    She informed that Robotic Gynae Surgeries like hysterectomy - done to remove all or part of the uterus, endometriosis surgery - to remove tissues outside the uterus, oophorectomy - to surgically remove one or both ovaries and gynae cancer surgeries, are now available in the region.  "Robotic Gynae Surgery is the latest state-of-the-art technology and this has several advantages compared to both laparoscopic and open gynae procedures", she said.

Akash Bhatnagar creates record in single leg football juggles

Ghaziabad (Uttar Pradesh) : Akash Bhatnagar from Ghaziabad has created a remarkable record in doing maximum single leg football juggles performed in 30 seconds. His name has been included in the India Book of Records (IBR). Akash Bhatnagar (born on February 20, 2000) is also titled as ‘Grand Master’ in Asia Book of Records (ABR) for the same attempt. He performed 95 football juggles with his right leg in 30 seconds, as confirmed on September 09, 2020. Football juggles is one of the important techniques, practiced to develop the ball control during a football match. He wanted to help all the talented sportspersons through his sports NGO, who are facing problems in their respective career. He said, “I am playing football for past 8 years and it took 6 months of continuous practice of football juggles to achieve this level. I had performed 182 juggles in 60 seconds, it means more than 3 juggles per second. Sunny Bhatnagar, my elder brother and a former International Jeet Kune Do pla